Inlays and Onlays Strengthen and Restore Damaged Molars
Dr. James M. Stein, DMD, offers inlays and onlays at his Boston, MA, practice. These restorations are intended to repair damaged or decayed molars. Smaller and more affordable than crowns, inlays and onlays strengthen damaged teeth more effectively than fillings, effectively serving as an intermediate step between these two types of restorations.
Dr. Stein uses advanced CAD/CAM technology to create highly realistic inlays and onlays that will precisely fit your teeth. In some cases, he can provide same-day restorations. Once in place, your inlay or onlay will blend seamlessly with your smile, restoring oral function and preventing further damage.
Is an Inlay or Onlay Right for You?
If you have significant dental decay, a cavity may be too large for a filling, but not big enough to merit a crown. In these instances, an inlay or onlay may be appropriate. Inlays are smaller restorations that cover the biting surface of the tooth. An onlay extends beyond the cusps down the sides of the tooth.
Before placing your inlay or onlay, Dr. Stein will take x-rays of your tooth to determine the extent of dental damage. Then he will decide whether this type of restoration is right for you.
What Happens When You Receive an Inlay or Onlay?
Before placing an inlay or onlay, Dr. Stein will treat any decay. First he will clean the tooth to remove bacteria or damaged tissue, and then he will take impressions of the tooth and surrounding teeth.
Often, he will use our CAD/CAM system to create incredibly precise digital impressions. Our in-office milling machine can then utilize these images to carve out your inlay or onlay, which may be fabricated and placed during the same appointment.
Once in place, your inlay or onlay will blend seamlessly with your smile, restoring oral function and preventing further damage.
If you are not a candidate for same-day restorations, we will schedule a second appointment during which we will attach the inlay or onlay. In the interim, Dr. Stein will provide a temporary restoration to protect your tooth.
The Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and onlays can tremendously benefit your oral health:
- Like crowns and fillings, inlays and onlays can fortify your tooth, prevent further damage, and renew oral function.
- Inlays and onlays can strengthen teeth more effectively than fillings because they are larger and more durable.
- Inlays and onlays are more conservative than crowns, enabling the doctor to preserve more of the structure of your tooth.
- We proudly use advanced dental porcelain that is available in many different colors; therefore, your restoration will be virtually indistinguishable from your teeth.
- You can expect the natural, attractive appearance of inlays and onlays to last for years, since they are more stain-resistant than tooth-colored fillings.
Contact Us to Learn More
To find out if you are a candidate for an inlay or onlay, contact our office today to schedule a consultation. Dr. Stein's commitment to state-of-the-art dentistry and high-quality care will rejuvenate your smile and deliver an enhanced dental appearance.